What is the best way to experience Niagara Falls? There are plenty of things to do to get the most out of the Falls. Where do you cross the border ? Canada is bordering with the U.S.A by Niagara River and linked by Niagara Falls International Rainbow Bridge.
- HOW TO EXPERIENCE NIAGARA FALLS
- FACTS ABOUT NIAGARA FALLS
- NIAGARA FALLS BOAT TOURS
- HOW MUCH IS THE BOAT TOUR TO THE NIAGARA FALLS?
- THE LOCATION OF NIAGARA FALLS
- WHICH SIDE IS BETTER?
- THE AIRPORT TO TRAVEL TO NIAGARA FALLS
- THE BEST TIME TO VISIT NIAGARA FALLS
- HOW FAR IS IT TO DRIVE TO NIAGARA FALLS?
- NIAGARA FALLS BOAT TOUR | WATCH THE VIDEO
Estimated Reading time 4 min 19 sec
HOW TO EXPERIENCE NIAGARA FALLS
Niagara Falls is located on Niagara River between the Province of Ontario in Canada and the State of New York in the United States of America. The magnificent Falls on the Canadian and USA sides are linked by the Rainbow Bridge. Crossing the Rainbow bridge, a total length of 1,450 ft (440 m), to reach the other side takes five to ten minutes.
FACTS ABOUT NIAGARA FALLS
- Niagara Falls consists of three waterfalls — the Horseshoe Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls and the American Falls.
- Canadian Falls, Horseshoe Falls, is located on the Canadian side in the city of Niagara Falls in the Province Ontario of Canada.
- American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls, the American side of Niagara Falls, is located on the United States.
- Bridal Veil Falls is the smallest of the three waterfalls located between Goat Island and Luna Island.
- Horseshoe Falls is the largest of the three waterfalls that form Niagara Falls.
- The history of Niagara Falls dates back 12,000 years ago.
- The water that plunges over the Falls comes from four Lakes: Erie, Huron, Michigan and Superior.
- The water flows over the Falls, it travels down the Niagara River to Lake Ontario then flows into the St. Lawrence River and into the Atlantic Ocean.
- Approximately 150,000 U.S. Gallons / 567,811 Liters per second of water flow over Niagara Falls.
- The average depth of the water below Niagara Falls is 170 feet.
- It is estimated that 90 per cent of fish survive the drop over Niagara Falls.
- Parts of the movies “Superman II” starring Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve and “Niagara” starring Marilyn Monroe, were filmed at Niagara Falls.
JOIN A BOAT TOUR
- Joining a boat tour is highly recommended as you will get as close as you can to the Falls!
- Maid of the Mist and Hornblower represent the tour companies offering the boat tour in Niagara Falls. The Maid of the Mist company has been operating on the Niagara River since 1846, serving the Canadian side up to 2013, operating on the American side since 2014. Since 2014 the Hornblower has been operating on the Canadian side.
- If you are visiting the Falls from the Canadian side then book your ticket to Hornblower Niagara Cruises.
- Would you prefer a spice of adventure and fun? Join the Niagara Funicular!
- Would you do a Zipline to the Falls? Zipline above the Falls and explore the beauty of the scenery.
- If you are visiting the falls from the American side then ride the Maid of the Mist. Boat tours start daily at 9 am and depart from the docks at Niagara Falls in the American side every 15 minutes. The boat tour trip takes 20 minutes.
- If you prefer to visit both sides then hold your passport and cross the Rainbow Bridge.
- Hooded rain ponchos are provided within the boat tour, however, remember to dress accordingly as you will feel the water drops in your face and clothing during the tour.
- The boat tour is a great opportunity to experience one of the most amazing natural wonders of the world. The boat will take you as close as possible to the Falls. You will hear the sounds of the waterfalls, feel the mist on your face, you will be amazed by the power the water flows.
HOW MUCH IS THE BOAT TOUR?
The American side boat tour costs $22.25. The Canadian side boat tour funicular ride included costs $30.50 CAD
THE LOCATION OF THE FALLS
- The address to the Niagara Falls State Park, if you are travelling from the United States is 1 Prospect St, Niagara Falls, NY 14303.
- If you travel from Toronto the address is 6650 Niagara Parkway, (River Rd) Niagara Falls, ON L2G 0L0, Ontario, Canada.
WANT TO SEE MORE? JOIN ME!
WHICH SIDE IS BETTER ?
The Canadian side is the best to experience breathtaking views of both the American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls.
THE AIRPORT TO TRAVEL TO THE FALLS
- The most popular airport to reach the Falls, if you travel from the United States, is the Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF). Buffalo-Niagara International Airport is around half an hour from Niagara Falls (25 miles/41 km).
- The Niagara Falls Airport (IAG) is the closest airport to the falls (7 mi /10.36 km).
- Take a flight to Pearson Airport (YYZ) in Toronto if you travel from Canada to the Falls (78 miles/125 km).
LOVED THIS POST? PIN IT
THE BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit Niagara Falls is from June to September. Summer is considered the peak season, the weather is mild, there are so many attractions in the province of Ontario (Canadian Side) to get the most out of your vacation. Check out all the tours and activities to do in the Niagara Falls.
LOVED THIS POST? PIN IT
HOW FAR IS IT TO DRIVE ?
If you are driving to the Niagara falls check the distance:
- 23 miles (37 km) from Buffalo
- 400 miles (640 km) from New York City
- 84 miles (140 km) from Toronto in Canada
Looking to travel solo and need a little inspiration to make that first step to book your solo trip? Follow my tips and advice to go the extra mile and get ready for your adventure!
This post was most recently updated on July 15th 2020.