London is one of the most vibrant cities I have ever visited. There is always something to do, whatever day of the week or the weekend you visit. From discovering the city’s attractions or eating at a fancy restaurant, choosing the perfect place can present a challenge.
Estimated Reading time 3 min 18 sec
Which London attractions are free? What can you do if you are on a tight budget? Here is a guide on how to enjoy a trip to London on a budget.
BUDGET THINGS TO DO IN LONDON
- Skygarden is a popular skyscraper, that features a rooftop restaurant and coffee shop, offering spectacular views of the city of London free of charge.
Visit Skygarden for free. All you have to do is to plan a free visit and book a slot via the Skygarden website.Tweet
- Visit Greenwich Pier! Greenwich is one of my favourite places to visit! Greenwich is a beautiful borough in South London with lots to see and do as the Old Royal Naval College, the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Observatory.
- The Tower Bridge Exhibition, located in Tower Bridge is one of London’s famous bridges. The Bridge is open daily from April to September from 10:00 to 17:30 and October – March from 09:30 to 17:00. Join the exhibition offering panoramic views to the city from the Walkways! There is a glass floor, 42 meters above River Thames, where you can walk on.
Explore the Engine Rooms that once powered the Tower Bridge lifts and learn about the engineers and about how the bridge works.Tweet
- The tour offers informative videos, films and panels to explain the tower’s history (£9.80).
If you travel outside London you can get a 2 for 1 entry on daysoutguide. The National Rail tickets are valid, a printed voucher is required per two people per attraction. One person pays the full adult price and the second person goes free on presentation of each voucherTweet
- Visit the central business district Canary Wharf. Canary Wharf is one of the main financial centres of the United Kingdom, hosting some of the tallest buildings in the city of London.
- View the Changing the Guard outside the Buckingham Palace. The ceremony takes place, at 11.00 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and daily in June and July.
- Visit Little Venice. Little Venice is a fascinating district of London. Walk by the canal! If you would like to take to the water book your tour ahead to secure your spot.
- Visit the National Portrait Gallery! The entry to the building is free of charge. There are ticket prices for special exhibitions.
THE MUSEUMS TO SEE FOR FREE
There are several museums to visit for free in London. Check out the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the amazing Tate Museum, the London Mithraeum, the Sir John Soane’s Museum, the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Museum of London, the British Library.Tweet
WANT TO SEE MORE? JOIN ME!
WHERE TO EAT ON A BUDGET
- Visit the Borough Market which is open Monday to Saturday, located in the heart of London. Borough offers a wide variety of fish, meat, fruits, paellas, oils, plants and flowers, cheese spices and foodies ready to eat.
- You can not miss visiting Camden when you travel to London. There are more than 1000 stalls from street food to clothes in Camden market.
Camden Market: There are plenty of options to choose from traditional fish and chips to noodles and Mexican cuisine.Tweet
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SELFIECCINO?
Have you ever heard of Selfieccino? What about getting your face printed on your coffee or chocolate? If you like the idea then visit the Tea Terrace restaurant and tea room, which is located at House of Fraser (Victoria Street Branch). I was impressed by the elegant environment, decorated on white, pastel blue and pastel pink, the Victorian-style chairs and sofas.
WHAT TO ORDER: Cappuccino topped with your face printed in foam (£6.60).Tweet
How Selfieccino is made up? First, you take a photo of your self and send it to the baristas team via what”s up or email. Your selfie is scanned afterwards and sent to a machine, named “Cino”, which prints it onto froth. The whole procedure took around five minutes.
WANT TO WATCH MY TRAVEL VIDEOS?
Here’s a quick guide on how to have a great time on a budget in London! There are so many things to do as the list of things to do and see in London is inexhaustible!